Milford Sound Day Tour from Queenstown
Visit one of New Zealand’s unmissable destinations with an awesomeNZ Milford Sound tour! Tours depart every Friday and Saturday from Queenstown, with extra departures during the school holidays, and include a cruise on this famous and remote fiord.
Our experienced local guides will keep you entertained during your tour, giving you plenty of opportunities for photo stops and making sure you have a truly awesome Milford Sound experience!
Set off from Queenstown in the morning, following in the path of the ancient Māori who used to travel to Milford Sound in search of precious pounamu (greenstone) more than 1,000 years ago.
The road to Milford Sound has some of the world’s most spectacular scenery. Check out panoramic views of Fiordland National Park along the way from our glass-roof coach and hear about the history of this special part of the world.
Stop for a bite to eat in Te Anau, before driving along the shores of Lake Te Anau and through the Eglinton Valley, where you’ll see an ancient alpine forest, massive waterfalls and the famous Mirror Lakes. Make the most of these magical photo opportunities before our Milford Sound tour continues, taking you through the Upper Hollyford Valley and past the stunning Christie Falls.
After passing through the 1.2km long Homer Tunnel (drilled through the solid rock of the Southern Alps), we enter the breathtaking Cleddau Valley and then descend into Milford Sound. Here you’ll jump on board a cruise boat and tuck in to a FREE delicious lunch as your Milford Sound cruise begins.
Cruise along the fiord and take in the famous sights and landmarks of Milford Sound, like the uniquely-shaped Mitre Peak, glacier-scarred rock walls that rise 1,200m vertically from the sea. Keep an eye out for marine life like dolphins, seals and penguins too! The fiord is dotted with waterfalls that tumble through the valleys and crash into the sound far below, making the scenery in Milford Sound spectacular, rain or shine.
After the cruise your guide will be waiting to drive you back to Queenstown, arriving in the evening. Alternatively, you can book a scenic flight back to Queenstown (optional extra, conditions permitting) and soar your way over spectacular scenery. A shuttle will meet you at the airport and return you to your accommodation.
Extra school holiday dates
In addition to our regular Friday and Saturday tours, we’ve added tour dates throughout the next school holidays as follows:
- Sunday 27 and Monday 28 September
- Sunday 4 and Monday 5 October
- Thursday 8 October and Sunday 11 October
- 7:25 am
Coach departs Queenstown
- 9:50 am
Morning tea stop, Te Anau
- 10:20 am
Coach departs Te Anau. Heaps of photo stops along the Milford Road
Photo stops along the way incl. Eglinton Valley, Knobs Flat, Monkey Creek
- 1:20 pm
Coach arrives in Milford Sound
- 1:30 pm
Milford Sound cruise departs
- 3:30 pm
Milford Sound cruise returns
- 3:35 pm
Coach departs Milford Sound
- 5:30 pm
Afternoon tea stop, Te Anau
- 5:45 pm
Coach departs Te Anau
- 8:00 pm
Coach returns to Queenstown
- 2-hour cruise
- Glass roof coaches with FREE wifi
- Delicious lunch
- Pick up and drop-off from selected accommodation
- Photo stops along Milford Road (subject to conditions, see below)
With every cruise you’ll receive a delicious free lunch, served fresh and hot! Choose from:
- Pizza Pie (sesame and soy chicken with cabbage, carrots, garlic and ginger)
- Little India Meal (Turmeric and cumin spiced lentil and potato curry with steamed vegetables and rice – vegetarian, gluten free and dairy free)
Your driver guide will take your order on the day and your meal will be delivered to you when you board your cruise.
- Photo stops along the Milford Road are dependent on the weather and road conditions on the day
- Please note that while every effort is made to operate the Milford Sound tour in glass roof coaches, due to servicing requirements these vehicles may not always be available
Combos & other awesome tours
- 7 hours, 10 minutes
- Includes Milford Sound cruise
- Includes lunch
- Two-day tour combo
- Includes Milford Sound cruise & lunch
- Includes bus travel to Queenstown